Monday, December 21, 2009

Frederick Douglass,(:


The Narrative Of The Life Of Frederick Douglass was a very emotional and touching story.From a scale of 1-10 I would rate this slave narrative an 8. I wouldn't say that I enjoyed reading the book because the slaves were treated inferior to whites, they were often punished and came upon the most gruesome acts. However, I did like the book because it showed the state of mind of a former slave, Frederick Douglass, and how he accomplished his dream of being free. My favorite passage of the Narrative of Frederick Douglass, was when he had a fight with Mr.Covey, and he defended himself and showed Mr. Covey another side of him, that nobody knew. I would say that this is my favorite passage because Frederick, showed Mr. Covey that he was not going to let him lay a hand on him , and show him that he was tired of getting whipped all the time. He showed Mr. Covey that he was a man, and that he was not going to let Mr. Covey whip him.



Even though this is my favorite passage throughout the whole Narrative of Frederick Douglass, i really enjoyed coming across the passage when Frederick Douglass learned how to read, and write. Even though slaves were not allowed to have an education because a Slave would be a Slave FOREVER, Frederick came across some white kids that helped him read. Frederick was very thankful because he was a slave that could read and write, something that the average slave did not know, or would never know.

1 comment: